Company: Maryville Academy
Location: Des Plaines
Posted on: September 22, 2022
Make a difference to the lives of children! Maryville Academy is
accepting applications for volunteers
About Maryville Academy
Maryville is a human services organization established as an
orphanage by the Archdiocese of Chicago following the Great Chicago
Fire of 1871. As a child care organization rooted in Catholic
social teaching, Maryville is dedicated to the preservation of the
dignity of children at every age. Our mission is to help children
and families to reach their fullest potential by empowering
intellectual, spiritual, moral and emotional growth. Our six
service areas include: Behavioral Health, Early Childhood,
Educational Services, Family Services, Jvenes Adelante (Youth
Moving Forward) and Residential Services. Our services are offered
in Chicago, Bartlett and Des Plaines. We offer many opportunities
for growth, a rewarding experience and an excellent benefits
About the Volunteer Position
Volunteers fulfill a variety of roles within Maryville dependent on
the volunteer's interests and programmatic needs. Volunteers assist
Maryville in meeting its mission to their clients by providing
structure, stability and guidance. They are part of a team effort
to promote the well-being and individual growth of youth in
Maryville care by sharing their commitment with a youth to help
make their future a success. Volunteers gain valuable experience
working with youth.
- Commit to one day a week working with assigned population at
designated time and sites schedule is negotiable.
- Report to the supervisor upon your arrival to receive an update
regarding the youth.
- Document arrival and departure in sign-in book/or on individual
time sheet to be turned into volunteer coordinator or program
manager on site.
- Report any unusual incidents to the supervisor prior to
- Follow directives of staff.
- Assist Maryville staff during group-time with the youth.
- Help individual youth with homework or activity.
- Maintain ethical standards as described by Maryville at all
- Maintain open communication with shift supervisors, program
manager and other team members involved with the youth.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding youth.
- Tutors should focus on the academic assistance with youth.
- Mentors should focus on relationship building with designated
youth according to the above listed activities.
- Participates in continued performance quality improvement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Complete Volunteer Packet: Volunteer Application Form, Medical
Exam, Drug Screen, TB test, Confidentiality Agreement, Background
Check, Fingerprinting, Authorization to Obtain Criminal Convictions
Report and Reference Check.
- Completed 2 weeks after last COVID vaccine.
- Attend Protecting God's Children Workshop online during this
- Do the DCFS Mandated Reporter training online.
- Attend an orientation session/tour.
- Must have a positive, supportive, and patient attitude.
- Must possess the ability to interact and communicate
professionally with team members and youth.
- Receive on-the-job training or attend training session as
appropriate to the complexity and demands of assignment.
- Required to frequently sit, stand, bend, stoop and walk,
sometimes for extended periods.
- Required to lift/ move objects weighing in excess of 20
- Must have visual, hearing, and learning capabilities sufficient
to perform the essential functions defined above
Environment and Scheduling:
- Duties are performed in designated administrative office
- Duties may involve contact with youth who may be threatening,
aggressive and/or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Keywords: Maryville Academy, Des Plaines , Volunteer, Other , Des Plaines, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!