Dean of Business and Career Technologies
Company: Oakton Community College
Location: Des Plaines
Posted on: September 16, 2023
Dean of Business and Career Technologies Category:
Administrators Subscribe: Department: Division of Business and
Career Technologies Locations: Skokie/Des Plaines, IL Posted: Jul
20, 2023 Closes: Jan 10, 2024 - 11:59 PM EST Type: Administrators
Position -ID: 164979 Share About Oakton College :
Oakton College, a caring community of educators dedicated to
excellence and learning, invites applications for the Dean of
Business and Career Technologies (DOB) (DOB 23)A premier
comprehensive community college, Oakton is 17 miles from downtown
Chicago. Oakton serves the near northern suburbs of Chicago with
campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie with buildings totaling over
700,000 square feet of space resting on 192 acres. These campuses
serve almost 10,000 students annually that are enrolled in over
82,000 credit hours of instruction. The College's Operating Funds'
budget (Education and Operations & Maintenance Funds) for the
academic year ending on June 30, 2023 -amounts to $77.1 -million.
The College is known for its academic innovations, commitment to
serving students, solid financial position, and supportive
environment for both students and employees. -Candidates with a
commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are
especially valued at Oakton.We encourage applications from
candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student
body and community, enhance and promote engagement with other
cultures, and have demonstrated a commitment to working with and as
part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:Academic Operations
- Provides educational vision and leadership for the division
- drives department and program efforts at program, curriculum,
and course development and improvement;
- facilitates faculty professional development activities;
- Ensures academic course schedules support student needs and are
fiscally responsible and sustainable.
- Assigns faculty loads.
- Develops and leads the execution of the annual budget for the
division and its departments and programs. Actively pursues
appropriate grant or alternative funding opportunities.
- Individually and as a member of the Council of Deans
participate in proposing, implementing, and interpreting college
policies and procedures with regard to the college's mission, goals
- Participate in the hiring process for faculty and staff.
- Works collaboratively with the Academic Affairs Executive
Assistant/Operations Manager on the standardization and ongoing
management of division office operations.Supporting Students
- Maintains college visibility through regular communication with
students, including new academic term kickoffs, midterm check-ins,
and completion nudges.
- Hosts (randomly selected) students in meetings each
- Provides timely, procedural leadership for students and faculty
members alike in such matters as grade appeals and questions of
academic integrity, and establishes/maintains routine procedures
for dealing with such administrative matters affecting students and
faculty members as grade changes, entry to closed classes, field
- Maintains an open-door environment for students; helps students
resolve issues with facultyTeaching and Learning
- Together with department/program chairs, provide evidence-based
annual program reviews and assessment of teaching and
- Champions the use of evidence-based high impact practices.
- Sets expectations for the incorporation of new technology and
methodology into educational programs, curricula, and the
- Drives the development of new and/or updated courses and
programs in the Division to meet the changing needs of the student
population. Ensures the quality and relevance of the academic
programs and services.
- Using data, leads the division in analysis to determine if
courses/programs should be sunset or withdrawn.
- Create, present, and act upon an annual division status
- Ensures maintenance of appropriate external program
- Regularly reviews, analyzes, and reports on completion rates of
courses and programs within the Division.
- Using all available partners and resources, personally analyze
enrollment trends, form conclusions, make recommendations for
actions, and execute approved plans. Share findings with faculty
- Demonstrates leadership in supporting the Oakton Experience and
high impact activities such as the Persistence Project.Diversity,
Equity, and Inclusion
- Leads division faculty members, department and program chairs,
and classified staff members. Maintains a culture that is both
positive and successful. Sets high expectations and maintains
accountability for student success.
- Demonstrates leadership in the core values of respect,
integrity, collaboration and excellence within the Division and
across the College.
- Adhere to and execute college policies and collective
bargaining agreements.Performs other job-related duties as
- Master's degree in a discipline appropriate to the division is
required; doctorate is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years in an academic environment with at least
three years of academic leadership.
- Ability to learn and adapt to changing college needs while
maintaining up-to-date skills.
- Advanced organization, prioritization, and project management
skills required with a drive to move the College's strategic plans
- Intermediate Microsoft Office / Google suite skills required
including documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- A working knowledge of student databases and information
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills with the
ability to interact professionally, confidentially, and courteously
with a wide range of constituents from diverse backgrounds
including the Board, college Administration, faculty/staff,
students, government, and the general public.
- Strong ability and demonstrated experience in leading,
coaching, mentoring, developing, and disciplining people.
- Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and to
visit off-Campus entities. Work is performed in a general office
environment and is generally sedentary in nature. Little or no
exposure to adverse working conditions.
Supervision received:Administrative supervision received from the
Vice President of -Academic AffairsSupervision
Exercised:Administrative supervision is exercised over all academic
department chairs and faculty, as well as office staff.Based on the
needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some
positions at the college -may have hybrid schedule options
available after 30 working days. Oakton is accessible by public
transportation.Salary: -Minimum: -$104,975; Midpoint: -$139,203;
To become an applicant, interested individuals must complete the
online application linked from the posting found on the Oakton
website. Electronic copies of a cover letter, resume/cv, list of
three (3) references with contact information and transcripts -must
be submitted by the applicant via uploading to -the Oakton
employment website. Please indicate the position code (DOB-23) on
the cover letter. Uploaded documents need to be under 2 MB in size
and in either .doc, .txt, or .pdf format. A total of 8 separate
documents may be uploaded to an application file that has been
successfully submitted to the College.Posted positions may be
removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is
determined that no additional applicants are required.TRANSCRIPTS
An -UNOFFICIAL -copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time
of application by the applicant.***Official transcripts for all
degrees earned are only required prior to appointment.*** Official
transcripts or a placement/credential file should be e-mailed to
email@example.com. -Official transcripts -or
-placement/credential files sent by postal mail should be sent
Dean of Business and Career Technologies -(DOB-23)
c/o Human Resources Department
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Keywords: Oakton Community College, Des Plaines , Dean of Business and Career Technologies, IT / Software / Systems , Des Plaines, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!