Company: Oakton Community College
Location: Des Plaines
Posted on: June 19, 2022
DES PLAINES, IL
Jan 5, 2022
Open Until Filled
Full Time Staff
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where
thousands begin or continue their college or career studies.
Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more
than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life
for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Web Developer will design, maintain, and support the front-end
of the College's website including building and implementing new
templates, websites, landing pages, and web pages while integrating
back-end applications. This includes monitoring and analyzing site
traffic, making recommendations to improve traffic, troubleshooting
and correcting web-related problems that arise, as well as
performing day-to-day administration of the College's Web Content
Management System (CMS). Other responsibilities include development
consulting through all project phases and supporting internal
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Available and on-call during an after-hours crisis or emergency
situations to deploy messaging on the web. Support campus and
community notification of emergencies via the website and assist
with emergency response planning and preparation.
- Stays current of technology and best practices. Regularly
attends training and proactively conducts research when
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
- Codes, tests, documents, implements, and continuously improves
the College's website. Develops plans and identify action items to
design, maintain, and support the website.
- Performs analysis and programming as needed. Works
collaboratively with internal users and external vendors, to
determine feasibility, reach desired goals, and determine the best
method to accomplish the objective.
- Provides the necessary technical knowledge to staff member(s).
Serves as a resource when needed.
- Liaison with CMS provider on template enhancements. Write
well-designed and efficient code by using best practices, utilizing
CSS, and combinations of languages when needed. Develop and modify
website workflows, training practices, and user access within the
- Apply understanding of accessibility issues and tools to ensure
all Oakton website comply with current federal regulations for ADA
accessibility. Provide solutions for internal stakeholders
regarding accessibility, compatibility, and usability, (i.e., W3C,
Section 508) including cross-platform, email client, and web
- Develop plans and identify tasks required to complete projects.
Project leadership includes coding, testing, documentation, quality
assurance, and implementation. Provides critical motivation and
momentum to team members to ensure a successful implementation in
order to meet deadlines.
- Support development consulting through all project phases and
supporting internal initiatives.
- Provide ongoing maintenance and troubleshooting, and day-to-day
administration of the College's Web Content Management System
(CMS). Including the primary point of contact for the CMS.
- Set up staff and faculty user permissions and workflow within
the content management system. Prepare staff and faculty as content
contributors within the content management system and provide
- Develop and implement HTML/XML-based templates and others as
required by the CMS.
- Develop cascading style sheets based on responsive design to
optimize Oakton's web site for new technologies such as
smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices.
- Provide support and technical expertise in converting and
maintaining college documents to web-friendly formats (i.e., Annual
Report, Strategic Plan, Handbooks).
- Support full lifecycle of web-based forms to meet the business
requirements of internal and external audiences (i.e., Veterans
Enrollment Certificate, Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal,
Transcript Evaluation Request).
- Collaborate with the College Relations team to implement
digital assets consistent with industry web standards and Oakton's
brand and writing standards.
- Analyze website traffic for trends and user patterns to
identify and quantify web visitor habits and behavior.
- Lead concept development for all web enhancements and periodic
- Assures that software and web systems are at current revision
levels and ensures acceptable levels of performance.
- Manage, coordinate, and execute web design and content changes
with both College Relations and IT.
- Collaborate with IT to implement technical changes to the
website when user experience issues are observed in the analytics
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Familiarity with web analytics tools and concepts (Google
- Excellent organizational skills with proven track record in
project management using effective written and verbal communication
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization; preferred.
- A solid understanding of accessibility, compatibility, and
usability and strong knowledge of ADA and WCAG 2.0 requirements
- Understanding of the creative side and analytical side of
marketing; ongoing awareness of digital marketing strategies;
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn
rapidly, and master diverse web technologies and techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, web design, graphic
design, or related field, or an equivalent combination of training
and experience. Master's degree in computer science, web design,
marketing, communications, or a related field preferred.
- Five years of professional experience required. Seven years of
- Higher education experience preferred.
- Content Management System (CMS) set up and experience required,
including design and facilitation of training for system users;
Cascade system preferred, any commonly used CMS required
(WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento, or other).
- Knowledge of effective web design, web development, user
interface, relational database management, information
architecture, CMS systems, SEO, SEM, analytics, graphic design and
illustration. Ability to understand the use of applications and
frameworks that would be used for the position (MS Office, Adobe
Creative Cloud, HTML, CSS, JSON, XML, .NET, Bootstrap, SASS, etc).
Demonstrated ability to develop clean, standards-compliant
Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus. Work is
performed in a general office environment and is sedentary in
nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received by the Senior Manager of Web and
Administrative supervision is received by the Director of
SALARY: $66,605 -
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval,
some positions at the college may have remote or hybrid schedule
options available. Please note, that during the 65 working day
probationary period, employees are required to report to
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select
the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of,
at least, three (3) professional references with contact
information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of
the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified
individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability,
age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or
gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and
participation in its educational programs, college activities and
services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without
notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are
Keywords: Oakton Community College, Des Plaines , Web Developer, IT / Software / Systems , Des Plaines, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!