Director On-Market Technical Support and Services
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Location: Des Plaines
Posted on: June 12, 2022
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.
At Abbott Molecular, we realize the potential of personalized care
as the laboratory's most trusted and preferred source for molecular
diagnostic solutions. We are a division of Abbott Laboratories, a
global, diversified healthcare innovator with a legacy of
pioneering work in medical diagnostics.
Diagnostic testing is a compass, providing information that helps
in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of a range of health
Abbott's life-changing tests and diagnostic tools give you
accurate, timely information to better manage your health. We're
empowering smarter medical and economic decision making to help
transform the way people manage their health at all stages of life.
Every day, more than 10 million tests are run on Abbott's
diagnostics instruments, providing lab results for millions of
Molecular Diagnostics at Abbott at its Des Plaines, IL Headquarters
has an opportunity for the Director, On-Market Technical Support
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
The Director, On-Market Technical Support and Services is
responsible for technical product support and improvements for
on-market TPM-manufactured instruments and reagents as well as
supporting strategic business initiatives.
They are also responsible for enabling successful operational
performance through support of efficiency improvements, cost
reductions, quality improvements and commercial enhancements to
Will collaborate with both Quality and Operations business partners
(mainly) and will also support, as necessary, supply chain and
engineering improvements associated with suppliers and TPMs for the
AMD global manufacturing network. Provides innovative solutions and
strategies, technical communications, and projects designed to
improve cost profile, reliability, manufacturing capability and
robustness, profitability, and global acceptance of AMD's
instruments and reagents and assays.
Directs the work of a broad range of technical and support
personnel draw on technical expertise within and outside of Abbott.
Coaches and mentors' team
members across multiple, diverse projects on performance and
development needs. Acts to develop subordinates as future managers
and director candidates. Position has significant impact on many
aspects of the business, from people, customers, processes and
products to sales growth, margin and division performance.
* Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of
the quality system.
b. Technical Knowledge:
* Provide independent reviewer and operations inputs to product
development teams working under
* Design Control as well as on-market design changes, focusing on
Process Design, Process Capability, Analytical Method Design and
* Develop and apply operations/ product/ process knowledge to area
* Use sound judgment, appropriate scientific methods, and thorough
* Accurately documents work.
c. Planning/Project Management:
* Keeps projects on track within their technical, time and budget
* Solicits input for alternative approaches to resolve critical
* Conceive, plan, design, execute, and document projects/activities
efficiently and in conformance with applicable procedures.
d. Patient Focus:
* Anticipates, identifies, and resolves internal and external
customer issues through understanding of processes, product
performance and clinical utility.
* Set department vision and strategy, plan, coordinate, direct,
coach, develop, hire, communicate and control the use of
* Establishes goals that are consistent with development,
manufacturing, regulatory and customer requirements.
* Implements plans/policies, assigns responsibilities, and directs
subordinates to meet division goals.
* Communicate problem resolution across teams to minimize potential
F. Business Focus/Alignment:
* Influences and communicates direction and outcome of critical
issues that have direct impact on compliance and business
* Demonstrates fiscal responsibility through actionable
recommendations and accomplishments such as maintaining product
availability and improvements in product sustainability.
* Aligns resources with strategic business priorities
* This function is accountable to the DVP Operations AMD
* The Director, On-Market Technical Support and Services will have
accountability for on-market Technical Support for all
TPM-manufactured assays, Supplier Technical Support, Investigation
and Field Technical (DIV level as warranted) Support.
* This position makes final decisions regarding administrative and
* Erroneous decisions may have a serious impact on the overall
success of the division.
* Therefore, previous experience managing a technical operations
team/department in a manufacturing environment is necessary to
perform the duties required in this position.
* Interacts with executive and senior level management to reach
agreements regarding significant program strategies, funding and
prioritization of projects/programs.
* These interactions require strong written and oral communication
* Coordinates with Worldwide Marketing and Operations to integrate
program/project goals with commercial, quality, regulatory and TPM
* The position requires a high degree of adaptability, creative
decision-making, and technical/scientific problem-solving
* Unplanned situations involving technical product problems,
changes in worldwide demand, customer quality concerns, competitive
problems/advances, financial variances, employee relations
situations, manpower loading, and external regulatory agency
incursions are typical challenges that must be satisfactorily
resolved in an expeditious manner.
* This job involves constant analysis of priorities among many
variables: production efficiency, customer service, cost control
without compromising quality.
* The incumbent must influence decisions made by
technical/scientific, marketing, operations, quality, regulatory
and materials and engineering disciplines to maintain customer
satisfaction and meet division earnings objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE, YOU'LL BRING:
* Bachelor's Degree in life science or engineering.
* Minimum 8-10 years' experience required.
* Proven ability to provide direction and deliver results through
coordination of various functional groups and people leadership and
* Experience/knowledge in Engineering, Systems Integration,
Manufacturing, Customer Support, Design Transfer, Manufacturing of
Biologically based products,
* Has knowledge of AMD products, customer base and diagnostic
* Experience leading and managing group leaders and responsibility
for large and diverse/skilled work groups.
* Advanced education (PhD in life science) is preferred.
* Knowledge of planning, forecasting, and executing a
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great
career. We offer:
* A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
(Include for Manufacturing roles only)
* Production areas that are clean, well-lit and
temperature-controlled (Include for Manufacturing roles only)
* Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new
employees and tuition assistance
* Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives
and retirement plans
* Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental,
vision, wellness and occupational health programs
* Paid time off
* 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
* The stability of a company with a record of strong financial
performance and history of being actively involved in local
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to
help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities
with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your
future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on LinkedIn at
www.linkedin.com/company/abbott-/, on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Des Plaines , Director On-Market Technical Support and Services, IT / Software / Systems , Des Plaines, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!