Company: Oakton Community College
Location: Des Plaines
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Des Plaines, IL
Oct 24, 2022
Open Until Filled
Full Time Staff
About Oakton College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where
thousands begin or continue their college or career studies.
Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more
than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life
for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibilities:
Oversee the health and wellness promotion, treatment and education
for Oakton student athletes. As part of a health care team, in
collaboration with the sports medicine physician, specializes in
the prevention, emergent care, examination and clinical diagnosis,
therapeutic intervention and rehabilitation of injuries and medical
conditions while ensuring our athletes receive the utmost care and
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage protocols and policies pertaining to
athletic training services.
- Develop and manage emergency action planning for
- Direct oversight of daily operations of all athletic training
facilities and activities.
- Direct supervision and coordination of contracted athletic
trainers as well as track hours and compliance with contract.
- Create daily, weekly, monthly athletic training schedules for
practices, home competitions and occasional extended stay
- Oversight of the Athletic Training budget.
- Coordinate a system of inventory and control for the
disbursement and ordering of supplies and equipment.
- Develop, maintain and provide informational reports about
athletic injuries and treatment. Complete and submit documentation
for injury reports and health insurance filings. Assist athletes in
paying bills/insurance issues.
- Perform regular safety inspections of indoor and outdoor
facilities. Make recommendations to the Senior Manager of Athletics
with regards to solutions of safety hazards, facility improvements
and purchasing of equipment.
- Collaborate with the athletic department staff to develop and
schedule workshops and lectures addressing personal development
topics covering issues such as nutrition, alcohol abuse, drug
abuse, personal hygiene or hazing.
- Maintain Automated External Defibrillator (AED) upkeep and
documentations for facility based and portable units. Oversee
disbursement for portable units to appropriate teams.
- Communicate with student athletes, their families, coaches,
athletic administrators, and other people as necessary concerning
clearance process, health/injury and personal issues, protocols and
wellness promotion within professional guidelines, college policies
and procedures and state and federal law including the Health
Insurance Portability Accountability ACT (HIPAA) and Family
Educational rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Provide athletic training services for Oakton student athletes
including injury prevention, evaluation, emergency treatment,
injury management, therapeutic intervention and rehabilitation
- Assess risk of injury, self-care implementation and overall
- Facilitate weekly athletic training room acute care clinic with
contracted Physician and/or Sports Medicine Fellow. Collaborate
with team physician and/or Sport Medicine Fellows and coordinate
and oversee all necessary medical referrals.
- Work Collaboratively with Health Services on care of student
- Coordinate and facilitate on-site EKG screens and athletic
Qualifications and Working Conditions
- Master's degree in Athletic Training, from a CAATE certified
institution is required.
- National Athletic Trainer's Association Board of Certification
certified and licensed by the State of Illinois is required.
- Certification in Emergency Cardiac Care is required. This
position is subject to blood borne pathogen legislation.
- Two years of athletic training experience with knowledge and
experience in injury prevention, evaluation, emergency treatment
care, rehabilitation and administration are required.
- Must have a high level of oral and written communication skills
and to be able to regularly interpret college policies in
situations requiring judgment.
- Must have a high level of organization and attention to
- Previous experience working in a college setting preferred.
- Occasional travel as well as working weekends, evening and
occasional holidays is required.
Ability to reach above shoulder. Periods of time spent sitting,
standing, walking, kneeling, bending and stooping. Mobility to move
from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus
entities. Some exposure to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received from the Senior Manager of
Athletics. Administrative supervision is received from the
Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Access,
Equity, and Diversity.
Functional supervision exercised over student employees, contracted
health personnel as well as interns.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
SALARY: $73,236 Salary is non- negotiable
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval,
some positions at the college may have remote or hybrid schedule
options available. Please note, that during the 65 working day
probationary period, employees are required to report to
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select
the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of,
at least, three (3) professional references with contact
information prepared to submit with your application.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified
individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability,
age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or
gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and
participation in its educational programs, college activities and
services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without
notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are
Keywords: Oakton Community College, Des Plaines , Athletic Trainer, Human Resources , Des Plaines, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!