Diesel Fleet Mechanic Technician II
Location: Des Plaines
Posted on: September 13, 2023
US0024 Sysco Chicago, Inc.
Minimum Level of Education:
High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience:
Pay: $27.00 - $34.00 per hour based on experience
Excellent full time career with outstanding benefits
Shift your career to SYSCO today!
To provide safe, reliable and cost-efficient vehicles by performing
quality preventive maintenance inspections and repairs as well as
performing expert diagnosis and repair as required to prevent
breakdowns on road, reduce vehicle downtime and improve total fleet
- Perform required inspections and preventive maintenance on
vehicles and equipment with in planned time tolerances to maximize
the safety, reliability, and cost efficiency throughout the life
cycle of the fleet.
- Perform FAI/CVI (Annual) inspections on all fleet vehicles
including tractors, trailers, converter dollies, light-duty
vehicles, and any other company-owned equipment in accordance with
all federal, state and local legal and regulatory agencies.
(Includes all state-required inspections and frequencies).
- Perform quality preventive maintenance inspections per company
methods on all fleet vehicles including tractors, trailers,
converter dollies, lift-gates, light-duty vehicles, and any other
- Perform quality maintenance repairs as required to maximize
safety and reliability on all fleet vehicles including tractors,
trailers, converter dollies, lift-gates, light-duty vehicles, and
any company-owned equipment.
- Address all Driver Vehicle Inspection Report write ups timely,
- Diagnose cause of any malfunction and perform repairs to
manufacturer specifications including but not limited to engines,
transmissions and clutches, drive-line, differential, steering and
suspension, fuel and ignition system, exhaust systems (including
regeneration systems), intake systems, electrical systems, brake
systems, HVAC systems and lift-gate hydraulic, mechanical and
- Follow procedures including documenting all work performed on
- Learn and develop efficiency in Sysco computer programs
- Proficient in electrical meter testing
- Knowledge of controls and electric (DC (distribution center)
- Electric motor knowledge (DC)
- Complete electrical repairs and welding projects as needed.
- Medium / Heavy Duty truck technical training
- High school diploma or GED preferred
- 2-year school and 1 year of experience or 3 years of experience
in fleet maintenance and repair
- Current and valid driver's license.
Preferred Certifications, Licenses, and Registrations
- Annual Inspector Certification, Knowledge, Skills, and
- Brake Inspector Certification, Knowledge, Skills and
- ASE certifications; Automotive or Medium/Heavy Duty Trucks
(Preferred, Not Required)
- 609 HVAC Certification
Preferred Professional Skills
- Working knowledge of computer-based diagnostic software for
OEM's and component manufacturers
- Must provide own and provide all tools (diagnostic equipment
and major tools provided by Sysco) necessary to perform all
maintenance repair and diagnostics
- Expert knowledge and skill of all vehicle systems and
- Moderate knowledge and skill in diagnosis and repair of
electrical systems on all equipment
- Moderate knowledge and skill in Preventive Maintenance
Inspections and repair
- Basic knowledge and skill in welding and cutting (gas,
electric, MIG, TIG)
- Basic computer skills and knowledge
- Moderate knowledge of all DOT (FMCSA) regulations
- Basic knowledge of OSHA safety regulations
- Basic knowledge of environmental regulations
- The employee is Repair work requires excellent hand and finger
dexterity used for wrenches, hand tools, and other shop
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to operate various pieces of equipment
- Ability to stand, sit, walk, bend, reach
- Ability to push/pull
- Ability to lift /carry
- Ability to grasp tools
- Ability to perform Repetitive motion: wrenches and hand
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to
operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and
- The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands
- The employee is frequently required to climb, balance, stoop,
kneel, crouch, bend or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit and must
frequently lift and/or move up to 100 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is
occasionally exposed to wet, hot, extreme cold and/or humid
conditions; and moving mechanical parts and may be required to work
in confined spaces.
- The associate works non-traditional business hours including
evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and on-call.
- The associate may occasionally be required to travel to other
Operating Companies or the corporate office as business needs
dictate (i.e. training, business continuation, etc.).
- The associate is occasionally exposed to high, precarious
places and confined spaces.
- The associate is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne
- The noise level in the work environment is usually
- Frequently works outdoors.
For information on Sysco's Benefits, please visit
The pay range provided is not indicative of Sysco's actual pay
range but is merely algorithmic and provided for generalized
comparison. Factors that may be used to determine rate of pay
include specific skills, work location, work experience and other
Sysco is the global leader in foodservice distribution. With over
71,000 colleagues and a fleet of over 13,000 vehicles, Sysco
operates approximately 333 distribution facilities worldwide and
serves more than 700,000 customer locations.
We offer our colleagues the opportunity to grow personally and
professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic
organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their
expectations. We're looking for talented, hard-working individuals
to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco
is at the heart of food and service.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer, and consider qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or
any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.
Keywords: Sysco, Des Plaines , Diesel Fleet Mechanic Technician II, Engineering , Des Plaines, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!